The American Red Cross approached the Florida Associations of Centers For Independent Living (FACIL) to learn to how they can better and more effectively communicate with people with disabilities during disasters. As we’ve discussed on previous episodes on the podcast, people with disabilities tend to be one of the more high risk populations during disasters and the folks that tend to serve people during disasters, such as those who work at The American Red Cross, were eager to learn how they can better serve this community.
On this episode, various Directors within FACIL have a candid conversation with folks at The American Red Cross on social etiquettes, how to effectively communicate with people with disabilities, what are the recommendations in those communications with people, and collectively share lots of useful information and knowledge on how to better communication with people with disabilities.
What is a Centers for Independent Living?
CILs are consumer-driven, non-profit organizations who support community living and independence for people with disabilities based on the belief that all people can live with dignity, make their own choices and participate fully in society. CILs provide tools and supports for integrating people with disabilities fully into their communities. CILs serve all disabilities and all ages in every county in Florida.
All 67 counties in the state of Florida are covered by a center for independent living. We are a disability resource center with a mission to keep people with disabilities living in the community, independently. We serve all disabilities and all ages, proving a wide array of different services, free of charge.
Where are Florida's Centers for Independent Living? Visit Florida Association of Centers For Independent Living to find a CIL near you.
- Peter O’Connell is the Executive Director for The Center for Independent Living of South Florida, located in downtown Miami
- Ciawanda McDonald is the Executive Director of Disability Solutions for Independent Living, covering Volusia and Flagler County
- Carolyn Grawi is the team leader of the Center for Independent Living of Northwest Florida
- Brian Johnson Chief is the Program Operator at the Center for Independent Living of Broward Ft. Lauderdale
- Harvey Brooks is the Executive Director at Suncoast Center for Independent Living